Rockland BOCES district-based secondary programs provide students in grades 5-12 with the extra supports they need to be College and/or Career ready. Currently we have two high school programs at Suffern High School and at Tappan Zee High School and two middle school programs at Suffern Middle School and A. Macarthur Barr Middle School in Nanuet. Students have the opportunity to be integrated into both core and elective academic courses, and participate in extracurricular activities such as clubs and sports. Additional benefits include therapeutic support services and enriched common core curricula focused on technology, literacy, math and social skills.
Academic Program Features:
- Differentiated instruction for core subjects aligned with the NY State Common Core Standards
- Focused use of technology to personalize learning and enhance student achievement
- Small class setting
- Intensive literacy and specialized math supports
- Integrated participation in the high school community via core academic and elective courses, athletics and clubs
- Opportunity to enroll in Rockland BOCES Career & Technical Education Center (CTEC) programs and career work based programs called BEST at Dominican College
- Guidance counselors assist students with transition to college, work-based programs, career awareness services and community resources for adults
- Recent graduates have continued their education through enrollment in a number of two- and four-year colleges and vocational programs
Social and Emotional Supports:
- Therapeutic component integrated within the school day
- Strengths-based individual and group counseling, with emphasis on self-regulation and collaborative problem-solving
- Counselors trained in Dialectical Behavior Therapy
- Intensive work by the staff is applied to each individual student to help them succeed in the middle schools or high schools via Functional Behavior Plans, Agenda Pads, PBIS, Chromebooks, contracts, etc.
- Related services are available in accordance with each student’s IEP and include speech, occupational therapy, physical therapy and visual and/or hearing impairment services
Students with academic, social and/or emotional needs who benefit from integration and a less-restrictive environment.
Suffern High School, Tappan Zee High School, Suffern Middle School and A. Macarthur Barr Middle School