Rockland BOCES is committed to ensuring student privacy in accordance with local, state and federal regulations and agency policies. To this end and pursuant to U.S. Department of Education regulations, BOCES is providing the following Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security:
- A student’s personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released by Rockland BOCES for any commercial purposes.
- Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child’s education record including any student data stored or maintained by Rockland BOCES.
- State and federal laws protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information and safeguards associated with industry standards and best practices, including but not limited to, encryption, firewalls and password protection, must be in place when data is stored or transferred.
- Parents may access the New York State Education Department (NYSED) Student Data Elements List, a complete list of all student data elements collected by NYSED is available for public review online, and may also be obtained by writing to the Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.
- Parents have the right to file complaints about possible breaches of student data. Complaints should be directed to: Rockland BOCES Chief Operating Officer Dr. Mary Jean Marsico, 65 Parrott Road, West Nyack, New York 10994. Complaints to NYSED should be directed to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234; e-mail address is email@example.com.
This bill of rights is subject to change based on regulations of the commissioner of education and the New York State Education Department chief privacy officer. Changes/additions are also anticipated as NYSED releases further guidance documents.
Click here to view NYSED’s Parents’ Bill of Rights